Election of Members to the SIMS International Committee
The nominees for the SIMS International Committee are:
The International Committee (IC) comprises of 3 elected members from each of the 3 regions where SIMS is heavily practiced, Asia-Pacific, North America and Europe. Elected members serve a period of 6 years. In addition the conference chairs of the past and current conferences are ex officio members serving 2 years prior and 2 years after their respective conference. Therefore, in the steady state the IC comprises of 11 members – they are listed on the SIMS XVII website. Further details are given in the SIMS Handbook.
What does the International Committee do?
The IC has responsibility to:
- Support and encourage the understanding, development and application of SIMS and related topics.
- Provide oversight of the biennial International Conferences and ensuring that the Proceedings of these Conferences are available to all scientists in the refereed literature.
- Ensure that suitable bids are received for hosting the biennial International Conference. The IC evaluates those bids by considering the ability of the proposing team to hold a successful conference, the proposed venue and location, the budgets and other arrangements.
- Develop foresight and strategic direction, for example opening up new areas and initiatives, to ensure the vitality of future conferences.
How are new members elected?
At each international SIMS conference 3 of the 9 elected IC members will retire and 3 new members are elected, one for each region. This starts now for North America, Europe and Korea* using the following procedure:
- The IC will provide a slate of nominations from North America, Europe and Korea including a short biography. In addition, nominations (including a short biography) are gratefully received from those who have been a registered participant at any one of the last three International SIMS conferences. Nominations should be sent to Secretary at least 2 months prior to the SIMS conference (13th September 2009).
- Voting will be by region using a paper ballot at the International SIMS conference. The slate of nominations will be available on the SIMS conference website one month before the conference. A voting slip will be included in the conference bag. Only registered participants at the SIMS conference are eligible to vote. Results will be announced at the Conference General Meeting. In the unlikely event of a tied vote, the IC chairman will have an additional casting vote.
* Note that in the Asia-Pacific region nominations only from Korea are eligible this time, as the Korean representative will retire at SIMS XVII (Toronto).
If you have questions, please contact Ian Gilmore at email@example.com.